Follow up to Off Topic Day.

Monday, May 19, 2014

My ouchie fingers have gotten better, thanks to the avoidance of the pantry.  Unfortunately, the pantry still remains in its disastrous, staple-filled state.  Where are those secret worker elves that come in the night and finish things?!

Now that the cat is out of the bag (ah ha ha, I made a pun again) about what I was making for my sweet little nephews for their birthdays, I thought I'd share a few photos of The Story of the History of Ice Cream, by Aunt Becky, Uncle Mike and Hailey.

I used this simple tutorial as my guide in making the pop up book.

handmade history of ice cream book

I ended up creating all the pages on the computer using Adobe Illustrator as I'm just not as good at drawing as the guy in the tutorial.  But I did create the cover by hand.

history book on ice cream

I used some 9x12 heavier weight paper I had on hand but trimmed it down to regular paper size so it would go through the printer.  I almost threw that paper out on a random raging purge day, and actually did throw it out but then later rescued it from the recycle bin wondering what was wrong with me.  It always happens to me -- get rid of something I've had for years then lo and behold, I suddenly need it.  Always.  Without fail.  Which is why I struggle to throw things out sometimes.  Well, that and the semi-packrat tendencies I have due to being a prop person.

presidents and ice cream history

As I mentioned, I found a cool history online but then other sites said the history of ice cream is pretty unsubstantiated.  :(  Boo.

ice cream history book

It was easy to put together this book using that tutorial I linked to above.

more ice cream history

I had fun making it.  I hope Jake enjoys it!  I know he'll enjoy the gift card to the ice cream shop.  How could you not, right?!

2 comments

  1. I use a staple puller and needle nose pliers to get staples out. My fingers are better suited to piano playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I didn't have a staple puller and my needle nose pliers were far too wimpy for these nasty staples. I strongly advise sticking to piano playing rather than pulling staples, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Please no spam or links, thanks!