The Grand Gigantic Curtain Experiment.Wednesday, November 25, 2015
Ya know, sometimes things don't always go as planned. As you have it in your head. Sometimes it takes a little extra to get where you wanted to be. Or, you get kinda close. Or, sometimes you might not get there at all.
Take for instance this jumbo curtain I had in mind for our master bedroom.
It's not quite there yet but it's kinda close.
I purchased, oh gosh in September 2014 yeesch I'm pathetic, a large piece of white theatrical gauze, a remnant at 9'-10" x 15'-0" to be exact. Seamless. Large and in charge. Only fifty bucks!
|Wad o' fabric.|
|Beeeefore. Yup, there's the headboard, yay!|
Not that this particular area in our bedroom is weird; it provided an opportunity. One I wanted to take advantage of.
|Spiffy new copper curtain rod. Woo hoo! Mike said, hey uh, maybe paint the copper? I said uh, I bought it for the copper.|
Next I cut the fifteen foot length in half, stitched up the sides. Unfurled and cut the filler fabric. That's when I noticed how white white my filler fabric was in comparison to the white-ish of the gauze.
Ran a full pot of water through his recently brewed grounds, let it cool, dumped it in the sink, dropped the fabric strips in there, swish swish and a few seconds later I had the perfect off-whiteish.
As those air dried, I had this whack-a-doo notion to put a metal zipper at the top, zip the two panels together. A nutty impulse. I know, it seems odd but I thought hey, what the hell, try it. Who knows, it could be super neat. Or, who knows, maybe I have a few screws loose. Zipper* was purchased.
Assembled the pocket sleeves, attached them to the gauze, stitched on the zipper halves to each side, popped upstairs to ugh, um, errrr, grrrr, yeah, these sleeves came out much too tight. Opening and closing the curtains, yeah, not gonna happen.
|The zipper. Which was actually quite cool if I do say so myself.|
|Attempt 1 to salvage as-is. The zipper was getting yanked too. Sad face.|
I unzipped the zipper, tied the fabric back. Ehhh, nope, still too pretty. And now the zipper disappears.
|Combo of attempts 2-3.|
I took a brief time out to goof with my silly omnipresent assistant.
There will be many o' time when design and practicality clash. Such as this moment. I've got those not-hugely-attractive blackout curtains in the windows because I am a vampire and like it dark dark dark dark dark until I tumble out of bed. Then it's let-the-sun-pour-in time.
It is a constant predicament for designers, and regular folk as well -- how to combine practical, functional living's desires and needs with a designed environment. A major reason why designers exist really. It can obviously be tricky but definitely doable.
But the blackout curtains have to stay. Granted it doesn't make for the entire look I want but so it is. This is a design battle I won't win. It'll be great when we go to sell and I take the blackouts down for showings! Heh, whatev's.
Ok. So a few days later the curtains came down and I spent forever, no joke, like an hour+ per panel, seam ripping. A least favorite task of mine, seam ripping; I like to stitch things as I like to wire things: permanently. Hence over an hour per.
An entire redo of the whole process ensued: cut filler fabric, coffee dip it, dry, stitch, and I was set. And set I was.
|Yay! Perfect perfect! Or darn close enough. No, I didn't put a pocket or hem the bottom as I didn't want either to cause the fabric to bunch or lay weirdly. The gauze is as gauze is, lightweight.|
|Swatch book from Chicago Canvas.|
*The zipper is a Joann Fabrics affiliate link. The lion head pulls and trigger snaps are Amazon affiliate links. Mwah, thanks! Please see the "boring stuff" tab above for more info.